Friday, May 22, 2009

Persepolis

In Persepolis the writer’s voice seems to be calm. She tells of a story, of a voice as if she has lived in it before. Is it appealing? It could be. But the way she tells of Marji, some parts of her reminds me of myself. Marji became a bit rebellious like me when I was young till now. You are a little angel to your parents, but as you grow older, you want your independents and rebel against your elders. But, Marji still listens too. I rebel against my parents, but from time to time, I still do listen. I like how Marji is so strong and stands up to what she believes in. She has such big confidence in herself, doesn’t let others put her down of her dreams. I like that about her. Wish I could be like that again. I was. It comes here and then every now and then. But I wish I could be strong and confident like Marji and not let others put me down. Pick myself up again when I am attack, stay strong and not let peoples words get to me. Man! Marji is SO COOL! But, that was before she began to follow others. I didn’t really like that about her. If they said this, ok, then she’ll believe instead of finding out what the truth is. I had that she would at least believe because she believes that it’s the truth. It’s like, the popular with the non-popular. They follow what the popular says and do, just to be like them or look good to them.
Though the citizens of Iran face oppressive regime, they still had time to have fun and laugh. Some people, like Marji’s people, would have parties sometimes even though they were not allowed to. Marji would go and buy things, such as cassettes and listen to them. The Iran people wouldn’t care if they got caught, they would risk their life anyway and do what is fun for them. The things that made me laugh was How Satrapi add comic relief was her pictures and Marji. The way she drew her pictures shows us or gives us an idea of how it was like when reading the text. And when I read the text and look at the picture, I see funny expressions. These scenes help gives us an idea of what Satrapi is saying. It gives us pictures.
Some captivity in the story that Satrapi gives is that the women had to wear the veil. If they did not wear it, then they would be punish. Boys and girls could not go to the same school. Men had to grow mustache or a beard. They could not go out of there country unless they were given the permission to a passport. Cassettes were banded. Parties were no longer able to be held. Everything that was fun was gone. The only freedom they had, was that boys and girls could still go to school, women could still go out, wear whatever they want, if only they had the veil to cover the whole body. The thing that keeps them from being free is the army or the person who is in charge of country. They change the world and the people to do what they ask of and so the people would over power those who rebel against. But still, the people still try to live as id nothing has happened. But they would take the risk of putting their life in danger. Do things without the people knowing and would have to try to be slick. They rebel against the rule of not having parties, cassettes, clothes they wear. All this is just like our society today. We have freedom, but only as in state freedom. Not freedom as in with family. You can’t date, you must be this, and you have to act like this, no! You cannot dye your hair; wear clothes that are below your knee, no shorts, and on and on and on. Our own identity is chosen for us. We can’t do or be what we want to be. I mean, just doing it in a good way, it’s still not good or ok for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment